Saturday, March 31, 2007

Comparisons



I met Richard Bushman yesterday. He gave a lecture to the J. Reuban Clarke Law Society New York Chapter. He is a proffesor emeritus at Columbia University here in New York. He has a written a bunch of books, including "A rough stone Rolling" which is cultural biography of Joseph Smith. He lectured on the law in the United States during the lifetime of Joseph Smith giving a number of insightful details of the history of law in this country.

I spoke with him for a moment afterwards. I explained to him an article I wrote for a Pre-Law Review less than a year ago comparing and contrasting Slavery with Illegal Immigration (I guess it might benefit to explain what I said so I might blog that out later). I asked if any of his colleagues had proposed similar ideas, or if he saw comparisons, and most importantly perhaps if he thought people would even care about that concept. He responded to those questions: No, Yes, Yes. So it probably a fair and interesting comparison to make- between slavery and illegal immigration. I will have to blog more on this later

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You should post the Slavery and Illegal Immigration article you wrote. I'd be interested in reading it.

atelan said...

nuh huh, you're making money of me reading your blog now... I feel.. so cheap and sleazy...

Marc Jorgensen said...

I actually haven't made any money yet. So you don't have to feel cheap or sleazy.

Wakeupsleep said...

how do you make money with your blog?